Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gluten-free breakfasts...

Being gluten-free often makes breakfast the most difficult meal of the day. When travelling, you end up with eggs or yogurt. Cereal is problematic, as most have some form of gluten. Even at home, breakfast can get very dull, particularly if you live alone, like me.

I grew up eating substantial breakfasts, fruit, cheese, jams, arabic bread and an egg... We rarely had pancakes, or bacon or waffles, so those don't really feel like breakfast food.

I loved the breakfasts in the hotels in Spain (except for the one where we came down and there were two huge bread things in front of us). They were potato tortillas(!) cheese, fruit, eggs, yogurt. I did have to be somewhat careful, as it was all buffet style...but even so, fabulous breakfast...

In France, there were omelets, yogurt, or fromage blanc... and then I got my apartment and was able to find the gluten-free bread, so was able to have more interesting food. I just wish I'd found the gluten-free croissants that company hypothetically makes...

On the boat, man, the boat, I got gluten-free eggs benedict...I was in heaven. So good. I only thought about taking a pic when I was halfway through... they took gluten-free bread, the Canadian bacon, the poached eggs, and the sauce... I was in heaven, if I haven't mentioned that. I had also picked up some gluten-free muesli in Southampton (England) and was able to supplement with that. Fruit salad and G-F muesli is a fine breakfast.

Here in the US, there are a lot of frozen g-f breakfast items, but most of them are 'eh'. I'm not big on the traditional breakfast items like bagels, frozen waffles, frozen pancakes... most of them are either 'white flour' or dense and rocklike. So breakfast, particularly in the summer, is still a challenge. In the winter, I can make rice porridge, quinoa porridge, or even g-f oatmeal. But in the summer, hot food isn't quite as appealing...

So I need to find an equivalent to the fromage blanc of France, start making my own potato tortillas...

No comments: