Monday, December 28, 2009

Ringing in the New Year, gluten-free and happy....

I can't tell you how nice it is to be gluten-free, to have someplace to go for New Years, and to be healthy. I do want to talk a little about appetizers, buffets, and going gluten-free... most appetizers are, unfortunately, not g-f. Its something that usually makes me hesitant about going to most events, since I'm not going to find a lot of stuff I can eat, but also, eating isn't the primary focus of most events. Its the people. So I'll plan to have a snack when I get home...

but I'm amazed at how many celiacs try to eat the topping, or the filling of something.

Cheese is gluten-free, unless served on the same tray as crackers. Devilled eggs are usually gluten-free, since most people don't add soy sauce. veg and fruit are gluten-free, and hummus is (until someone dips that piece of pita into it). Shrimp are g-f (yum!) Be careful of chips though, the flavoring usually has wheat in it....plain are usually ok though.

I'm going to play around with rice paper on Thursday, and see if I can't make a g-f spinach roll thing, like spanakopita. (or however you pronounce it)

For desserts, macaroons and marshmallows and fudge are gluten-free, as are meringues. Puddings are g-f, but people have a tendency to try to make trifle, which is not. And beware banana pudding from Paula Deen, as she puts cookies in it....

If I were doing a party, I'd have devilled eggs, shrimp, various cheeses. I'd do baked cheese baskets and add a neat little filling of some kind. I'd do the roasted potatoes, with a dab of creme fraiche and caviar (or smoked salmon). If it was a big party, I'd do a slab of smoked salmon with the walnut bread I've made on here. I'd do hummus (of course!) and veggies. I might even do a salad with artisan lettuce and roasted sweet potatoes....

For desserts, gluten-free brownies, a cake, crustless cheesecake, chocolate fondue with lots of fruit and marshmallows to dip into it...maybe something in marzipan.....

No comments: