Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gluten-free, dairy-free, tasty!

I made a birthday cake yesterday. The person whose birthday it was can't eat dairy, and, of course, anything coming out of my kitchen won't have wheat....

So I came up with this cake (which could also be called a 1/2 cup cake, lots of half-cups)

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cornmeal-I used Arrowhead Mills
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups almond meal
capful vanilla
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 360.

Blend the brown sugar and cornmeal in the bowl of a stand mixer, add orange juice, and mix thoroughly (the orange juice helps to rehydrate the cornmeal so its not as gritty). Add the olive oil and then the millet flour. Add the rest of the ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Put in a cake pan and bake in the oven.

I used a heart stencil and powdered sugar on top. I was not able to come up with a good dairy-free frosting with the stuff I had at home, although that is what the cake really needs.

No comments: