Sunday, January 4, 2009

Golden Gluten-free Gorgeousness





This gorgeous bready delight is, of course, gluten-free. It is a millet-potato bread.

I think the one thing I'd change about the recipe would be to cut down the salt. I think I'd originally formulated the recipe with kosher salt, which I'm out of. It seemed very salty when I tried it, but still a great texture, and fabulous crumb.

1/2 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
1 tbsp sugar
(mix all these together, to make sure mr yeast is happy and alive)

1/2 cup peeled, baked potato
1 cup buttermilk (can use yogurt)
1 cup millet flour
1.5 cups rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1 egg yolk
2 tsp salt (cut to 1 tsp)
olive oil

In stand mixer, with paddle attachment, mix together the potato and buttermilk. Add the millet flour, mix, add egg yolk, mix.

Mix rice flour, salt and potato flour in bowl, add half to potato mix, switch to the dough hook. Add the other half, then the yeast. Add more water to rinse out the yeast bowl (only about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)

Beat for about 3 minutes with the dough hook.

Add batter to loaf pan, oil the top liberally.

Preheat oven to 400, leave bread to rise in warm place for at least 40 minutes.

Bake in oven until done. Rub the top with butter immediately after removing from oven. Let cool, slice, enjoy.

In its original incarnation, this was the first homemade bread I'd made after going gluten-free, and I was overjoyed...there are exclamation points all over the original recipe.

No comments: